Oracle 12.2 Upgrade: Benefits, Considerations & Strategies for Success
Chances are you’ve already heard a great deal about Oracle 12.2. With the numerous features, enhancements and business benefits that have been touted since its release in 2013, you’d think that most Oracle customers would have already made the switch. However, the reality is that the majority of businesses have yet to upgrade to 12.2. Why? While there are many factors at play, a lot of it comes down to concerns around resources, uncertainty on how to proceed and risks associated with a project of this size.
At AXIA Consulting, our goal is to arm you with the information and support needed to make more informed business decisions that drive bottom-line benefits. Below, we recap some of the benefits of the upgrade, as well as key considerations to determine whether it makes sense for your business. We also provide recommendations for minimizing risk and setting your upgrade project up for success.
Why Upgrade to Oracle 12.2
There are many benefits to moving your organization to Oracle 12.2, including:
- Reduced downtime. Thanks to online patching, downtime is reduced to the time it takes to shut down and restart the system, significantly reducing outages. Since changes are applied while the system is operating, online patching can be a revenue game-changer for global companies or those running 24/7 operations.
- More insightful analysis. Oracle 12.2 introduces additional fields for customization, which allows for enhanced drill down analysis and reporting capabilities. This provides increased transparency into your operations to make better informed business decisions.
- Increased efficiency. There is greater efficiency in Oracle 12.2 than past versions thanks to new functionality that allows the business to perform some tasks that are traditionally reserved for IT.
- Hardware cost savings. Configurator limitations that used to exist are removed in 12.2, which allows for more effective server usage. For example, we recently helped a client reduce their dedicated Configurator servers from six to just one post-upgrade.
- Extended system longevity. An obvious upgrade benefit is continued Oracle support. If your business doesn’t upgrade or change systems before Oracle ends support for your version, you’re putting your operations at risk.
Things to Consider Before Upgrading
Aside from the obvious financial considerations, there are a number of other factors that should play a role in your decision to upgrade. Before you move forward, make sure you consider the following:
- Are you considering moving to a cloud-based platform within the next couple of years?
If so, you may decide not to make any further investments in your on-premises software. Just make certain to transfer your EBS system before Oracle stops supporting your version or find a third-party to provide support in the interim. Otherwise, your business’ operations could be open to serious risk should you run into any problems.
- Are all integrated third-party applications certified for Oracle 12.2 and ready for upgrade?
If not, upgrading could result in lost functionality. You may want to wait until all third-party applications are certified and ready before upgrading should this be the case. You could also choose to replace the application if doing so makes sense for your business long-term.
- Do you have the right resources to complete the upgrade internally, and if so, can you afford to dedicate them to the project full-time?
The upgrade is substantial, and depending upon the complexity of your environment, it could take anywhere from six months to more than a year. Upgrading to 12.2 requires extensive planning and numerous test iterations. If done incorrectly, it could seriously corrupt your environment, so it’s important to have the right skills and resources in place. On-site, dedicated resources are necessary because of the complexities and challenges of the project – it’s easy to skip steps when you have to juggle the upgrade on top of daily tasks. If your business doesn’t have the adequate skills or resources to allocate to the project full-time, you’ll need to bring in outside support.
- Is your system highly customized? Do you have a global footprint?
If you answer yes to either of these questions, upgrading to 12.2 will become more complex. This makes it crucial to have a very skilled team dedicated to the project with experience handling Oracle upgrades for a global system. This team will be tasked with supporting processes for all locations at the same time. This is a daunting task, but can deliver major business benefits if done right.
How AXIA Can Ensure a Seamless 12.2 Upgrade with Minimal Risk
Whether you need help planning or managing your upgrade, AXIA is here to help. With an average of 20 years of ERP experience and multiple iterations of Oracle upgrades under our belts, our team has the skills and methodologies needed to guide your project to success. Upgrades are no small feat, and it’s important to work with a partner who can navigate you through the process to avoid pitfalls and overcome unforeseen challenges. AXIA’s proven approach not only minimizes your risk but ensures a seamless, turnkey upgrade, no matter how complex your environment. At a low cost to you, our senior consultants serve as an extension of your team and can supplement internal resources so that your team can focus on your business.
Let us help you realize the benefits of Oracle 12.2 and deliver ROI – contact our business and technology consultants today at 877-292-5503 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get started on your upgrade project.